September 8, 2015
Dark Chocolate Tart
Perfumed with orange and cinnamon, this devilishly decadent tart is like a slice of chocolate truffle.
Yield: Serves 8 to 12
- To make crust, combine flour, almonds and salt in small bowl. In bowl of food processor, pulse butter and sugar until smooth. Add egg and vanilla. Pulse until combined. Add dry mix. Pulse until it starts clumping. Transfer to floured work surface. Form dough into 1″-thick circle. Wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 2 hours.
- On floured work surface, roll dough to 13″-diam. circle. Line 10″-diam. tart pan with removable bottom with dough, pressing down around edges to fortify rim. Trim excess. Using thumbs, press edges to come slightly above rim. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- To blind-bake crust, preheat oven to 350°F. Place crust on baking sheet. Cover with circle of parchment. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or rice. Bake 20 minutes. Remove parchment and weights. Bake until golden, another 15 minutes. (Prick with skewer if crust starts to puff up.) Remove from oven.
- While crust is baking, make filling. Place chocolate in large bowl. In saucepan, heat cream, milk, sugar, vanilla pod and beans, canella or cinnamon and orange zest over medium-high heat. When it starts to boil, remove from heat. Let stand 10 minutes to infuse. Pour cream mixture through sieve over chocolate. Let stand 2 minutes. Whisk until smooth. Whisk in butter. Whisk in eggs, 1 at a time. Whisk in salt until smooth.
- When shell comes out, reduce oven to 325°F. Pour filling into hot shell. Bake until mostly set, but still a little jiggly in middle, 20 minutes. Cool completely. Serve at room temperature.