October 17, 2017
Deliciously Ella’s Chile & Ginger Pho
Try this recipe for Chile & Ginger Pho from Deliciously Ella’s new cookbook, Natural Feasts: 100+ Healthy, Plant-Based Recipes To Share And Enjoy With Friends And Family.
This is a simplified version of the classic pho recipe, which means you can have dinner on the table in twenty minutes rather than leaving it to simmer for hours! The broth base is flavored with sesame, ginger, green onions, chile and lime and then filled with lots of veggies and buckwheat noodles before being topped with cilantro. A perfect cozy, comforting supper that will warm and rejuvenate you.
Yield: Serves 4
- Prepare the noodles, if using, according to the package instructions, then drain in a sieve and rinse with cold water. Put the dried shiitake in a bowl, pour over 2 cups of boiling water and set aside for 20 minutes.
- Heat the sesame oil in a wok or large sauté pan. Add the ginger, garlic, chiles and green onions and cook for a minute or so, stirring to make sure the garlic doesn’t burn.
- Splash in a little water and let it bubble for a couple of minutes, then add the miso and tamari and 2 cups more boiling water. Let this broth bubble away until the mushrooms are ready, then add them too, with their soaking water (except the dregs, as they may contain grit). Return to a nice simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the corn and bok choy, and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the bean sprouts and carrots.
- Divide the noodles among 4 bowls, then spoon the broth on top. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice, then serve with lime wedges.