Fluffiest French Toast EverRecipe By: Kristen Eppich
Total Time: 12 Hours
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
This french toast recipe from the Okura Hotel in Tokyo was featured in our 30th anniversary issue.
- 1 large loaf dense white bread or challah, unsliced, 450-600 g
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 1 grind of pepper (from pepper mill)
- 2 tsp unsalted butter
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- Grade A Golden maple syrup (to serve)
Directions Yield: Serves 4 to 6
Assemble And Chill Toast
- Slice bread into 11⁄2″ slices. Trim off crusts if desired.
- Beat eggs with milk, sugar, vanilla, salt and pepper.
- Lay bread slices flat in single layer in baking dish where they fit snuggly.
- Pour egg mixture over slices. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 12 hours or overnight, flipping once halfway through.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Heat butter and oil in deep frying pan with lid over medium-high.
- Place bread slices in pan two at a time. Don’t crowd pan because slices will expand as they cook. Cook 2 minutes or until golden brown. Flip and repeat.
- Reduce heat to low and cover pan with lid. Cook 5 minutes, then flip and cook 5 more minutes covered. Transfer to a dish and keep warm in oven.
- Repeat with remaining slices, adding more oil and butter to pan as needed.
- Serve immediately with Grade A Golden maple syrup.