Fluffy Japanese-Style PancakesRecipe By: Eshun Mott
Trust the Japanese to take an ordinary flapjack and transform it into something extraordinary. The new “it” hotcake is made with whipped egg whites folded in and cooked slowly using a mould for a dramatic rise. The result is a breakfast that stands tall and tastes like a cross between a soufflé and angel food cake. You’ll find these decadent pancakes at cafés and on Insta feeds everywhere, or you can impress with them at home.
To make these pancakes, you’ll need four 3-inch x 1 3⁄4-inch metal ring moulds, which can be found in kitchen and restaurant supply stores. You’ll also need a nonstick pan with a domed lid.
- Vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 2 tbsp milk (2%)
- 1⁄4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1⁄2 tsp baking powder
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- Pinch cream of tartar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Icing sugar, whipped cream and berries
- Place large, nonstick frying pan over low heat and brush lightly with vegetable oil. Allow to heat while making batter.
- Separate eggs, placing whites in medium bowl in freezer and yolks in second medium bowl. Using whisk, beat yolks until fully broken up, then beat in milk and vanilla until combined.
- In another bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt, then use fine sieve to sift dry ingredients into egg mixture. Whisk until batter is uniform. Set aside.
- Remove egg whites from freezer (they will have just begun to freeze at edges). Add cream of tartar and, using electric mixer, beat until foamy. Keep beating, adding sugar a little at a time, until egg whites are thick and shiny, and peaks hold and just droop at the tip.
- Gently fold egg whites mixture into batter a third at a time, being careful not to deflate whites.
- Grease ring moulds and place in pan. Divide batter between them (each mould should be about half full).
- Cover pan and cook for 5 minutes on low heat.
- Using tongs and flexible spatula, flip pancakes. Let cook, covered, for 1 minute, then run blade of thin knife around inside of each mould and remove moulds.
- Cover pan and cook pancakes 2 to 3 minutes longer, or until nicely browned on bottom and just cooked through.
- Transfer to serving plate, dust lightly with icing sugar and serve immediately with softly whipped cream and berries.