Gluten-Free Mac & CheeseRecipe By: Eric Vellend
Since this recipe uses less cheese than traditional mac and cheese, it’s best to use quality aged cheeses for maximum flavour.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups diced butternut squash
- 2 cups skim or 1% milk
- 1 lb. dried gluten-free pasta, such as penne, macaroni or casarecce
- 1 cup grated cheddar, 3-year or older
- 3⁄4 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus more for serving
- 1⁄4 cup finely grated Pecorino Romano
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat sour cream
- Freshly ground pepper, for serving
Directions Yield: Serves 6
- In large pot, place onion, squash and milk over high heat. When it starts to simmer, cover and reduce heat to low. Cook until squash is soft, 20 minutes. Purée in blender until smooth. Return to pot. Keep warm over low heat.
- In large pot of salted water, boil pasta according to instructions on package. Drain.
- While pasta is cooking, gradually whisk cheeses into squash sauce until melted and emulsified. Whisk in sour cream. Season with salt.
- Add drained noodles to sauce. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Transfer to large serving platter or individual bowls. Serve with more Parmigiano and pepper.