Homemade Dark Chocolate, Fruit & Nut Energy BarsRecipe By: Courtesy of Handfuel
The perfect afternoon snack, these energy bars are chock-full of good-for-you ingredients, such as hazelnuts, dried fruit, sunflower seeds, almonds, chia seeds and more. Make a big batch and enjoy them for weeks to come.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups puffed brown rice cereal
- ½ cup almonds
- 2 cups Handfuel’s Vitalizer Mix (or a mix of hazelnuts, dried fruit and sunflower seeds)
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup light brown soft sugar
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup dark chocolate, chopped
- Line a 10-inch square pan with baking parchment, leaving some overhanging on either side.
- In a large bowl, mix together the almonds, Handfuel’s Vitalizer Mix, rolled oats, puffed rice cereal, almonds, and chia seeds.
- Place the coconut oil, sugar and honey in a pan. Heat gently until the sugar has dissolved then bring up to a boil for one minute.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cinnamon and salt. Pour over the oat mixture and stir until everything is well combined. Allow to cool for 10 minutes and then stir through the chopped chocolate.
- Pour the mixture into prepared pan, spread it out into an even layer and pack it down very firmly. Place the tin in the fridge to chill for about an hour until completely cold.
- Use the overhanging parchment to lift the slab out of the tin, then cut it into twelve slices using a very sharp serrated knife (slice into quarters then cut each quarter into three strips).
- Wrap each bar individually and store at room temperature for up to two weeks, or in the fridge for up to a month.