Homemade Dog Treats: Wheat-Free Bacon Pumpkin BitesRecipe By: Kristen Eppich
Food Editor Kristen Eppich shares her secret recipe for wheat-free dog biscuits. Make them for your pooch this holiday — whether they’ve been naughty or nice!
- 1 cup wheat-free rolled oats
¾ cup chopped bacon
1 cup spelt flour
1 cup coconut flour
1 cup cornmeal
1 tbsp baking powder
¾ cup canned pumpkin
½ cup melted coconut oil
½ cup water
2 eggs, lightly beaten
Directions Yield: About 50 1 ½ inch cookies
- Arrange racks in upper and lower thirds of oven. Preheat to 350ºF. Set aside 2 ungreased baking sheets.
- Blitz oats in a food processer until ground. Reserve. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until it has rendered some fat, about 5 minutes. Remove pan from the heat.
- Combine ground oats, spelt flour, coconut flour, cornmeal and baking powder in a large bowl. Stir pumpkin with coconut oil, water, and eggs in a separate bowl. Scrape in bacon and rendered fat. Stir wet ingredients into dry until combined.
- Turn out onto counter top and knead until dough comes together. Divide dough in two. Roll out first portion into ½ inch thickness. Cut into 1 1/2 – 2 inch shapes with cookie cutters. Reroll dough as many times as needed. Transfer to baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough, filling both baking sheets.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Rotate pan and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes or until cookies are golden. Turn off oven, leaving cookies inside and let sit until the oven has completely cooled off. This will help to dry out the cookies.