Kristen Eppich’s Best Turkey GravyRecipe By: Kristen Eppich
Total Time: 20 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Reserved turkey drippings
- Chicken stock, up to 4 cups
- Vegetable oil, if needed
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 whole sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Directions Yield: Makes 3 1/2 Cups
Separate Fat And Juices
- Discard turkey neck. Pour contents of roasting pan into glass measuring jar. Allow fat to rise to top, then separate fat from juices and reserve.
- Measure juices and top them up with enough chicken stock to amount to 4 cups in total.
Heat Fat And Deglaze Pan
- Place turkey-roasting pan on stovetop over medium heat. Add 3 tbsp of turkey fat (top up with vegetable oil, if needed) to pan and discard rest of fat. Using wooden spoon, scrape all caramelized bits off bottom of pan.
- Sprinkle flour over pan and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
Add Stock And Boil Down
- Add 1⁄2 cup stock and let mixture foam and sizzle, continuing to stir.
- Gradually whisk in remaining chicken stock. Add thyme.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer until thick enough to coat back of spoon.
Season And Strain Gravy
- Add soy sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour through strainer before serving, if desired.