Lasagna With Spinach, Peas And Herbed RicottaRecipe By: Eric Vellend
This dish uses a pea purée instead of traditional béchamel as the base sauce. The result is a lighter lasagna with a vibrant green hue. A squeeze of lemon at the end sharpens all the flavors.
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 4 ½ cups frozen green peas, divided
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp butter
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. washed baby spinach
- 1 lb. ricotta
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped mint
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 1/4 cups grated Parmesan, divided
- 8 fresh no-boil lasagna sheets (6″ x 9″)
- 6 oz. grated mozzarella
- Lemon wedges (for serving)
Directions Yield: Serves 8 to 10
- Place stock in small saucepan. Bring to boil over high heat. Add 3 cups peas and green onion. Cover. Reduce heat and simmer until peas are tender, 2 minutes. Transfer to blender with butter. Pure until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- In large stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic. Cook 1 minute. Add spinach and a splash of water. Cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, until spinach has just wilted. Season. Spread out on baking tray to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta, herbs, lemon zest and 3/4 cup Parmesan. Mix thoroughly. Season.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. To assemble lasagna, grease 9″ x 13″ baking dish. Spread ½ cup pea sauce evenly on bottom of dish. Top with 2 pasta sheets in single layer (you may have to trim sheets to fit.) Spread spinach evenly; top with 2 pasta sheets. Spread ½ cup pea sauce, and then ricotta mixture, in even layers; top with 2 pasta sheets. Spread 1/2 cup pea sauce; add remaining 1 1/2 cups peas; top with 2 pasta sheets. Spread remaining pea sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella and remaining ½ cup Parmesan.
- Cover top of lasagna with parchment paper. Cover baking dish with foil. Bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and parchment paper. Bake until knife can be inserted in centre with ease, 10 to 15 minutes. Broil 2 minutes to brown top. Serve with lemon wedges.