October 21, 2020
Mamma Mia Chicken
“Combining one can of tomatoes with one container of grape or cherry tomatoes in this recipe will yield maximum flavor,” says food personality Trish Magwood. “If you’d like to use boneless chicken, reduce the baking time to 20 minutes. And if you’d like to make this dish dairy free, just omit the mozzarella!”
Yield: Serves 4 to 5
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Pat chicken dry and season with 1 tsp of salt and generously with pepper.
- In large, cast-iron, 12″ skillet (you may need two), heat olive oil, add chicken and sear until brown on all sides, turning, about 10 minutes. Transfer out of pan and reserve.
- Add garlic, shallot, olives, capers and chili flakes, and sauté for 1 minute. Stir in white wine or chicken stock and canned tomatoes. Break up tomatoes with wooden spoon. Add cherry tomatoes. Season with 1 tsp of salt, pepper, and add half the basil. Cook, stirring, for about 10 minutes.
- Return chicken to pan, bake in oven, uncovered, for about 40 to 45 minutes, or until juices run clear.
- Top with remaining basil and single layer of mozzarella and broil for 3 minutes, or until cheese bubbles and oozes.