Margherita PizzaRecipe By: Eric Vellend
Fresh mozzarella is not ideal for this recipe, as it will become too watery as it heats. Low-moisture melts slower and has just the right texture.
- 1 8-to9-oz. ball Pizza Dough
- All-purpose flour and semolina, for working
- 1⁄4 cup tomato sauce
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- 3 oz. low-moisture mozzarella cheese, cut into 8 chunks
- Basil leaves, for garnish
Directions Yield: Serves 1
- Place baking stone on rack 8″ from broiler. Preheat oven to 500°F for 30 minutes. When ready to form pizza, turn broiler on high.
- Form and stretch dough into 10″-diam. round using flour as needed. Generously sprinkle pizza peel with semolina. Place dough on peel.
- Spread sauce evenly on dough, leaving 1″-wide rim uncovered. Brush rim with oil. Top pizza with cheese.
- Using peel, move pizza to oven, and with one quick jerk, slide pizza onto stone. Cook until crust is well browned and puffed, and cheese is melted, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove pizza with peel. Transfer to cutting board or serving platter. Sprinkle with basil.