October 7, 2014
Mushroom & Spinach Bread Pudding
These individual bread puddings are a great alternative to traditional stuffing.
Yield: Serves 12
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Butter 2 standard 12-hole muffin tins. Place bread on parchment-lined baking tray. Bake bread 10 minutes. Remove from oven. Raise oven temperature to 350°F.
- Bring large pot of salted water to boil. Working in batches, cook spinach until just wilted, 20 seconds. Transfer to bowl of ice water. Cool, drain and gently squeeze dry.
- In large pot, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onions. Cook, stirring, until they start to brown, 3 minutes. Add thyme, mushrooms, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until moisture has evaporated, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In large mixing bowl, whisk eggs, cream and stock. Add bread, spinach, mushroom mixture, parsley and 3⁄4 of cheese. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Mix. Let stand 20 minutes for bread to absorb liquid.
- Spoon mixture into tins. Place tins on baking trays (this stops bottoms from scorching). Sprinkle with remaining 1⁄4 cheese. Bake, rotating at halfway point, until custard is set and top is golden, 45 to 50 minutes.