Pear Pie Laced With GingerRecipe By: Pillsbury
For an unexpected Thanksgiving dessert, serve up a warm pear pie laced with ginger. It has just the right amount of kick.
- 1 pkg Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crusts, softened as directed on box
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) cornstarch
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 tsp (5 mL) finely grated lemon peel
- 6 cups (1.5 L) thinly sliced peeled pears (6 medium)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) water
- 4 tsp (20 mL) granulated sugar
Directions Yield: 8 servings
- Heat oven to 425ºF. Make pie crusts as directed on box for Two-Crust Pie using 9-inch glass pie pan.
- In large bowl, mix brown sugar, 1/4 cup granulated sugar and the cornstarch. Stir in ginger and lemon peel. Add pears; toss gently.
- Spoon into crust-lined pan. Dot with butter. Top with second crust; seal edge and flute. Cut slits or shapes in several places in top crust. Brush crust with water; sprinkle with 4 teaspoons sugar. Cover edge of crust with 2 to 3 inch strips of foil to prevent excessive browning; remove foil last 15 minutes of baking.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until pears are tender and crust is golden brown.