Peppermint SnowcapsRecipe By: Eric Vellend
These gluten-free cookies are also delicious made with Mexican spices. Just omit the peppermint extract and add 1 tsp ancho chili powder and 1⁄2 tsp cinnamon to the dry mix.
- 8 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups ground almonds
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- Sifted icing sugar, for rolling
Directions Yield: Makes 24
- In heatproof bowl fitted over pan of gently simmering water, melt chocolate and butter, stirring, until smooth. Remove from heat. Stir in almonds and salt.
- In mixing bowl, whisk eggs and sugar until pale and thickened, 2 minutes. Add peppermint extract. Fold in chocolate mixture until combined. Cover. Refrigerate until firm, 3 to 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Form dough into 1 1⁄4″-diam. balls. Roll balls in icing sugar. Place 2″ apart on trays. Bake until puffed, cracked and firm at edges, 12 minutes.