Pomegranate-Pistachio Turkish DelightRecipe By: Kristen Eppich
To transform this recipe into Mango-Coconut Turkish Delight, substitute mango juice for pomegranate juice and coconut (toasted sweetened flaked) for pistachios.
- 1 1⁄2 cups pomegranate juice
- 1⁄2 cup plus 2 tbsp cornstarch, plus more for dusting
- 1⁄2 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup shelled and coarsely chopped toasted pistachios
- 1⁄4 cup icing sugar
Prep Pan And Juice Mix
- Spray the inside of 5″ x 9″ loaf pan with cooking spray and line with enough plastic wrap to leave overhang for handles.
- Whisk pomegranate juice with cornstarch and cream of tartar in 3-quart pot. Set aside.
Make Sugar Mix
- Stir sugar with water and lemon juice in medium-size heavy-gauge pot. Place over low heat and stir just until sugar is dissolved.
- Increase heat to medium and bring to boil without stirring. Let simmer unstirred until mixture reaches 260°F on candy or digital thermometer, about 10 minutes. Pull off heat.
Heat Juice Mix And Combine
- Place pomegranate mixture over medium heat and cook, whisking constantly until it forms a thick, gel-like paste, 2 to 3 minutes. You will see mixture begin to thicken, continue whisking until uniform in texture.
- Gradually pour in sugar mixture, whisking constantly until incorporated. Mixture will be very thick.
- Reduce to low heat and cook 20 more minutes to fully cook cornstarch. Stir mixture every couple minutes to keep bottom from burning.
- Remove from heat and stir in pistachios.
Cool And Set
- Scrape into prepared loaf pan and smooth out top with back of damp spoon. Let cool to room temperature.
- Refrigerate, loosely covered, up to 1 week.
Cut Into Pieces
- When ready to serve, bring to room temperature and pat off excess moisture.
- Lightly dust cutting board with cornstarch. Turn Turkish delight out onto cornstarch and dust top as well until coated. Shake off any excess.
- Dust entire mold with icing sugar. Spray sharp knife with cooking spray and slice into bite-size cubes.