Pumpkin Pecan Crunch PieRecipe By: Eric Vellend
The lovechild of two fall favourites, this pie features satiny, spiced custard under a roof of sweet, crunchy nuts. Since you’ve got enough to do on Thanksgiving, make this pie one or two days ahead, cover it with plastic wrap and store in a cool spot in the basement.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted, plus more for rolling
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, cold, grated
- 2 tbsp vegetable shortening, cold
- 1⁄4 cup ice water
- 6 tbsp dark brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, cold, grated
- 1 1⁄4 cups pecan halves, toasted, chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 cups pumpkin purée
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream (35%)
- 1⁄2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp ground ginger
- 1⁄4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, for serving
- To make crust, combine all ingredients except water in large bowl. Mix with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal with some pea-size pieces of butter. Gradually stir in water with fork. When mixture starts clumping, form dough with hands. Roll into a ball and flatten into a disk. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
- On floured work surface, roll dough into 13″-diam. circle. Line 9″-diam. pie plate. Trim excess and crimp edges. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- To make topping, combine brown sugar, flour and butter in small bowl. Mix with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal. Mix in pecans to coat. Cover. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. To make filling, whisk eggs and brown sugar in large mixing bowl. Whisk in pumpkin until smooth. Whisk in rest of ingredients. Place pie shell on baking tray. Pour filling into shell. Bake on lower shelf until filling is slightly wobbly in middle, 50 to 60 minutes. Remove from oven. Sprinkle pecan mixture evenly over top. Bake until lightly brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.