Rainbow Carrots & ChardRecipe By: Martha Stewart
Try this recipe for Rainbow Carrots & Chard from Martha Stewart’s Vegetables by the editors of Martha Stewart Living.
Taste the rainbow: Carrots come in an array of beautiful colors. For this striking side dish, we blanched a variety of colors just until tender and bright, then tossed them with a lemon vinaigrette and the color-coordinated stems of rainbow chard.
- 1 pound small carrots, trimmed and scrubbed
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 bunch rainbow Swiss chard, stems trimmed (leaves reserved for another use)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, and ½ lemon, thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Fresh mint leaves, for serving
- Prepare a large ice-water bath. Cook carrots in a pot of generously salted boiling water until crisp-tender, about 7 minutes. Transfer to ice bath until cool, then remove with a spider and pat dry.
- Cook chard stems in boiling water until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Transfer to ice bath, drain, and pat dry.
- Whisk together lemon juice, vinegar, and sugar in a small bowl; season with salt and pepper. Add oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking until combined.
- Combine carrots, chard, and lemon rounds in a large bowl. Toss with some dressing, then transfer to a platter. Top with mint and serve.