Ruby Watchco’s Cheddar Cheese BiscuitsRecipe By: Lynn Crawford and Lora Kirk
Chefs Lynn Crawford and Lora Kirk serve up these flaky bites at their Toronto eatery, Ruby Watchco.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 1⁄2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1⁄2 tsp baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp (3⁄4 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1⁄2″ cubes
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cold buttermilk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp 2% milk
Directions Yield: Makes 12 Biscuits
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Combine first 6 ingredients in food processor and blend. Add butter and pulse until a fine meal forms. Transfer to large bowl. Mix in cheddar cheese. (This can be prepared up to 4 hours ahead. Cover and chill.)
- Mix enough buttermilk into flour mixture to bind dough. Turn out onto floured surface and knead until combined, about 10 turns.
Form And Bake Biscuits
- Pat out dough to 3⁄4″ thickness. Using 3″-diam. round or square cookie cutter, cut out biscuits. Gather scraps, pat out to 3⁄4″ thickness and cut additional biscuits. TIP: When cutting out biscuits, don’t twist the cutter (doing will hinder their rise). Instead, lift each biscuit using an offset spatula.
- Transfer biscuits to ungreased cookie sheet. Brush with egg wash (mix beaten egg with milk). Bake until golden brown and firm to touch, about 18 min.