Saffron Chicken Kebabs & Cucumber RaitaRecipe By: Eric Vellend
Don’t marinate the chicken longer than 8 hours; prolonged exposure to the acids in the marinade can turn the meat mushy.
- Large pinch saffron
- 2 tbsp hot water
- 1 cup plain full-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 ½ lb. skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1 ½”chunks
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 large English cucumber, seeded, sliced on bias
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt (low-fat is fine)
- ⅓ cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper
- Flatbreads (pita or naan) and lime wedges, for serving
Directions Yield: Serves 4 to 6
- To make kebabs, soak 8 10″ wood skewers in water at least 1 hour. In large bowl, soak saffron in 2 tbsp hot water. Cool completely. Whisk in yogurt, garlic, ginger, oil and lemon juice. Add chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly. Thread chicken onto skewers. Refrigerate 4 to 8 hours.
- To make raita, combine onion and lemon juice in mixing bowl. Let stand 15 minutes. Stir in cucumber, yogurt and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper. Cover. Refrigerate up to 2 hours.
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Clean and oil grate. Grill chicken, turning occasionally, until cooked through, 12 minutes. (TIP: Lay a strip of aluminum foil along bottom of grate to protect exposed bottoms of skewers from burning.)
- Serve chicken with raita, flatbreads and lime wedges.