Scallop & Smoked Bacon Risotto
Chef and owner of Chives Canadian Bistro in Halifax, Craig Flinn, makes approachable market-driven food, such as this delish risotto.
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 6 oz. smoky bacon, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3⁄4 cup superfine arborio or carnaroli rice
- 4 oz. dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnish
- 1⁄4 cup sliced chives, plus extra for garnish
- 2 tbsp canola (or olive) oil
- 20 10- to 20-count sea scallops
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat stock to a simmer. In a separate pot, saute? bacon, shallot and garlic in oil and butter until slightly browned. Add rice and cook over medium heat until translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add wine; stir until it evaporates. Slowly add hot stock one ladle at a time, allowing the previous ladle of liquid to reduce first. This process will take 15 to 20 minutes, total.
- When rice is cooked yet still firm to the bite, remove from heat and stir in cheese and chives. Let rest 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat canola oil in a frying pan. Sear the scallops for 90 seconds on each side until browned. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon risotto onto a platter; place scallops on top. Garnish with more cheese and chives.