Spiced Rum Chocolate Caramel Eggnog
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
What better way to warm up this winter than with a festive drink in hand! Keep cozy this holiday season with a sweet and spicy spin on this classic holiday cocktail. Chef Lynn Crawford partnered with Egg Farmers of Canada to encourage Canadians to spend quality time in the kitchen with loved ones.
- In a heavy bottom saucepan, whisk together the butter, cream, brown sugar and molasses on medium-high heat.
- Let the mixture come to a boil and let it bubble for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, combine milk, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla slowly bringing the mixture to a low boil. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar until the yolks are pale in color. Slowly add the hot milk mixture to the egg yolks in batches to temper the eggs and whisk until combined.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over medium heat until slightly thick (and coats the back of a spoon) but does not boil. If you’re using a candy thermometer, the mixture should reach 160°F (70°C). Add chocolate chips and whisk until melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in heavy cream and, if using, spiced rum. Refrigerate until chilled.
- When ready to serve, coat the inside of a mug with caramel sauce. Add eggnog to the mug and garnish it with whipped cream and cinnamon.
Courtesy of Egg Farmers of Canada