Strawberry Gelato RecipeRecipe By: Giuliano Hazan
A refreshing summer dessert from Italian chef Giuliano Hazan. “My mother used to teach strawberry ice cream at my parents’ cooking school in Bologna. I tweaked my mother’s recipe a bit, adding a bit of lemon juice, which I’ve found really brightens the fruit flavour.”
See more recipes from Giuliano Hazan.
- 3/4 lb. fresh strawberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Remove the green tops of the strawberries and rinse them in cold water.
- Place the berries and the sugar in a food processor and blend until puréed. Add the water and lemon juice and continue blending until all the ingredients are mixed together thoroughly.
- Whip the cream with a whisk until it begins to thicken and acquires the consistency of yogurt. Add the puréed strawberries and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into an ice-cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. Serve right away or store, tightly covered, in the freezer. It should keep for several days before ice crystals begin to form.