June 16, 2016
Sugar-Cured Flank Steak
Instead of a marinade, try a sugar and salt rub — it turns into a fantastic crust when grilled.
Yield: Makes filling for 16 Tacos
- To make cure, combine all ingredients in bowl to form thick paste. Spread cure over both sides of steak and place in a covered shallow bowl or sealable freezer bag. Marinate in fridge 6 hours (liquid will be released from meat; this is normal). Remove from fridge and thoroughly scrape off all cure. Pat steak dry.
- To prepare vegetables, quarter peppers, discarding cores and seeds. Place in bowl and drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cut onion horizontally into 1⁄2″ rounds and place on plate. Drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat grill to high, about 500ºF. Brush steak with oil and transfer to grill. Grill 2 to 3 minutes, or until bottom is well charred. Flip steak and grill 3 minutes for medium rare. Remove from grill and let rest 10 minutes on platter so juices are reabsorbed by meat.
- Reduce grill to medium-high and add vegetables. Cook 4 minutes, flip and continue cooking until tender and slightly charred, 4 minutes. Transfer to large serving platter.
- Slice steak against the grain into 1⁄8″-thin strips and coarsely chop grilled vegetables to serve.