March 25, 2020
Try this Unicorn Toast recipe from the new cookbook, Vibrant & Pure.
Ah, Unicorn Toast, the toast that launched an Instagram phenomenon. Whether people loved it or hated it, this toast was suddenly everywhere. Using beet juice, I had been dyeing everything pink that I could get my hands on, including cream cheese. Then came the yellow-orange from turmeric, the light blue from spirulina and the sea green from chlorophyll drops. When I arranged the colors on the toast, someone commented that the design looked like a unicorn, and the rest is history. Feel free to dress it up and top with your favorite fruit, hemp seeds or granola!
Yield: Serves 2
Pistachio Coconut Rose Dukkah
- Either by hand or using a chopper, finely chop the pistachios, pumpkin seeds, hazelnuts and coconut.
- In a small skillet, toast the pistachios, pumpkin seeds, hazelnuts, coconut, fennel seeds and sesame seeds over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes, or until the nuts and coconut start to turn a light golden brown. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the toasted nuts and seeds, rose petals and salt. Use immediately or store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 months.
- In a toaster, toast the bread to your preference.
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the cream cheese and 1 teaspoon of the honey. Add the beet juice and rosewater, and mix with a spoon until fully blended and pink in color.
- In a second small bowl, combine 2 more tablespoons of cream cheese and another teaspoon of honey with the turmeric and cinnamon, and mix with a spoon until fully blended and yellow in color.
- In a third small bowl, combine the remaining 2 tablespoons cream cheese and 1 teaspoon honey with the spirulina, and mix with a spoon until fully blended and light bluish-green in color.
- Put a dollop of each color on each piece of toast, then blend them using even knife strokes to make a pattern, then garnish with the Dukkah, bee pollen, gold flakes and sprinkles, if desired.
Excerpted from Vibrant & Pure by Adeline Waugh. Copyright © 2020 Adeline Waugh. Photography © 2020. Cover and interior photography by Adeline Waugh. Published by Penguin Canada, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.