Whole Wheat Spaghetti With Mushrooms And Chili PasteRecipe By: Kristen Eppich
The nuttiness of the whole wheat spaghetti plays beautifully off the spice of the gochujang (Korean chili paste, at Korean or Asian grocery stores) and richness of the pancetta in this big-flavor pasta. Continue tossing the spaghetti in the final stages of this recipe, adding in pasta water and olive oil until the noodles are glossy.
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped pancetta (about 100 g)
- 300 g shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, sliced
- 200 g enoki mushrooms, bottom 1″ discarded, separated
- 1 cup finely chopped white onions
- 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 2 tbsp gochujang
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup canned or jarred crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 12 oz. dried whole wheat spaghetti
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
Sauté Pancetta And Mushrooms
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a 12″ skillet over medium heat. Add pancetta and cook 5 minutes, stirring, until pancetta is crispy and has rendered some fat. Transfer to plate with slotted spoon.
- Add shiitake mushrooms to pan and cook 2 minutes. Add enoki mushrooms to pan and cook another 1 to 2 minutes or until mushrooms are cooked but still holding their shape. Transfer to plate with pancetta.
- Bring large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add 2 tbsp olive oil to same skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, gochujang and balsamic vinegar, and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in water and scrape up brown bits from bottom of pan. Stir in crushed tomatoes. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until slightly thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in fish sauce. Season sauce with salt and pepper.
Finish And Plate Pasta
- Drop pasta into salted, boiling water and cook until al dente, about 8 to 10 minutes. Scoop 1⁄2 cup pasta water into separate bowl and set aside. Drain pasta.
- Add pasta to pan with sauce over medium- low heat. Toss gently. Add reserved pasta water, 1 tbsp at a time to help coat noodles with sauce, up to 1⁄2 cup. Stir in parsley and remaining olive oil and toss until spaghetti is glossy. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide pasta between plates or bowls to serve. Garnish with more parsley, if desired.