Zarrein’s Shrimp CurryRecipe By: Maya Gohill & Cody Willis
Total Time: 30 minutes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Look for coconut milk powder in stores that carry Indian or Caribbean spices and sauces, or you can substitute one and a half cups of full-fat coconut milk for the powder and water in this recipe.
- 2 tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- 1 tsp whole cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp curry powder (Bolst’s Hot Curry Powder recommended)
- 3⁄4 cup plus 2 tbsp coconut milk powder (Maggi recommended)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 tsp chili flakes
- 1 lb. large shelled shrimp
- Cilantro sprigs or leaves, for garnish
Directions Yield: Serves 4
- In large frying pan, heat oil on medium heat. Add cumin seeds. Roast for 30 seconds, or until slightly brown and fragrant. Lower heat and add garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes, or until garlic is soft but not browned.
- Add cilantro and turn heat to medium-low. Sauté until wilted. Add curry powder, coconut milk powder and tomato paste. After stirring for 1 minute, add water, adjusting to desired thickness if necessary. Add lime juice and chili flakes, and season with salt, to taste.
- Bring to a simmer, add shrimp and cook gently for 3 minutes, or until just cooked through. Garnish with cilantro sprigs and serve with Fragrant Rice.