November 13, 2012

Rowhouse Reno: The Finish Line

On October 2nd, I announced excitedly that there was only one month to go! Well, I was a little too optimistic. One thing I have learned about the reno process is that patience is a good quality to possess. We still have a bit more to do but a lot has been done in the last month. Without giving too much away, here is the progress made in October…

Exterior: She is dressed for winter. I love how the stucco colour turned out. It is simple and clean and maybe one day we will warm it up with some crawling vines.

I loved the colour so much I painted a wall in our bedroom the same colour, Benjamin Moore’s Iron Mountain (2134-40).

Kitchen: One of the most complicated of projects is finally underway. The cabinets are getting installed! A few of them had to be sent back for corrections but fingers crossed they all go in this week so the counters can be installed and the plumber can hook up the faucet as well as perform septic tank maintenance and oil tank removal. For the last six months, we’ve only had running water in our basement. The tile is also set to come this week!

Doors and entryways: The archway that we saved was freshly painted and I’m loving it. All the interior doors are Shaker-style and we picked up some great brass oval knobs to complete the look. In the upstairs hallway, there were original corbels that were demolished during the demo. I missed them, so I found these vintage over-sized corbels to replace them with. Our contractor fixed the trim and I painted them out white. They add a nice detail to an otherwise standard hallway.

Bathrooms: We finished all the painting, including a green pocket door (in Farrow & Ball’s Calke Green #34). It was looking a little builder basic to me but now I love it. Here is a sneak peek at the sink in the ensuite (so far it’s my favourite room in the house).

Stairs: A bigger project than I had anticipated but I couldn’t stand the metal railings in the house, so we replaced them with a traditional set of spindles and handrail. We did a lot of shopping around until I found the perfect chunky set that was within budget, and then we primed all 68 of them! We also found an antique newel post for the bottom of the stairs to complete the look.