Designer Alison Milne shares a kitchen she designed for a young family with a dual design aesthetic: modern and mid-century modern. See how the sunny, graphic space came together with lots of natural materials and smart storage ideas.
The homeowners each favored a different decorating style, so Alison found a way to use both. The kitchen’s upper cabinets are mid-century modern while the walnut lowers are more modern. To tie the two looks together effortlessly, Alison brought in large subway-style marble tiles for the backsplash and Caesarstone countertops that have a natural, concrete look. The handsome armoire is the perfect place for pantry items and a recessed bookshelf adds even more storage. To top it all off, an outdoor porch was transformed into a bright breakfast nook off the kitchen for the whole family to enjoy.
1) Try reloading the page in your browser
2) Clear your browser cache (to see how, click here
3) Upgrade your browser to the latest version
4) Ensure you have a good internet connection and that houseandhome.com is not being hindered by firewalls or ad blocking software, etc.
5) Test using another browser. For example if you are using Internet Explorer, try Chrome
If you are still having trouble, please contact us
September 20, 2017
Cabinetry design, Alison Milne, Alison Milne Design, (416) 203-6266 or alisonmilne.com; cabinetry fabrication, DC Home Improvements, (416) 566-6115 or dchomeimprovements.ca; hardware, Upper Canada Specialty Hardware, (416) 696-8358 or ucsh.com; countertop by Caesarstone, York Fabrica, (416) 235-0161 or yorkfabrica.com; pendant lights by &tradition, Mjölk, (416) 551- 9853 or mjolk.ca; barstools by Normann Copenhagen, The Modern Shop, themodernshop.ca; oven and microwave by Bosch, Midnorthern Appliance, midnorthernappliance.com; bowls, teapot- shaped vessel, Hollace Cluny, (416) 968-7894 or hollacecluny.ca; pitcher, Elte, (416) 785-7885 or elte.com. Island detail: Footrest, Alison Milne Design, (416) 203-6266 or alisonmilne.com. Open shelves: Windows, Loewen Windows, loewen.com; plants (on floor), Elte, (416) 785-7885 or elte.com. Ceramics and books: Lidded basket, Hollace Cluny, (416) 968- 7894 or hollacecluny.ca. Pantry cupboard: Blackboard, Alison Milne Design, (416) 203-6266 or alisonmilne.com; light cabinetry color (throughout), wall color, Oxford White (CC-30), Benjamin Moore, 1-800-361-5898 or benjaminmoore.ca. Banquette: Chairs by Emeco, Klaus,
(416) 362-3434 or klausn.com; dining table by Arper, Kiosk, (416) 539-9665 or kioskdesign.ca; pendant by Gubi, Design Within Reach, dwr.com; vase, Elte, (416) 785-7885 or elte.com; back fabric, Kravet Canada (to the trade), 1-800-535- 3258 or kravetcanada.com; seat fabric, Edelman Leather, edelmanleather.com. Overall: Cooktop, Wolf, subzero-wolf.com; kettle (on cooktop), Le Creuset, lecreuset.ca; faucet by Rubinet, Roman Bath Centre, (416) 787-1219 or romanbathcentre.com. Stuffa pendant lamp, Mobilia, (905) 896-4904, (514) 685-7557 or mobilia.ca; Dallas Bar/Counter Wood stool by Soho Concept, The Modern Shop, themodernshop.ca; Vitra toolbox by Arik Levy and Pippo Lionni, Design Within Reach, dwr.com.
DIRECTOR TV PRODUCTION & ONLINE VIDEO
Sheri Graham Delagran
DIRECTOR OF PHOTOGRAPHY
PRODUCER & STYLIST
We welcome comments that are constructive and not of a personal nature.
Please be respectful of the people who have kindly allowed us into their homes for the benefit of us all.