Asian Salmon BurgersRecipe By: Eric Vellend
Wrapped in warm naan, a succulent salmon patty is stacked with silky avocado, pickled carrots and peppery cress.
- 2 medium carrots, peeled
- 3 slices ginger, ¼”-thick
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp Sriracha chili sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1½ lb. boneless salmon fillet, skin removed
- 1 tbsp finely grated ginger
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 4 pieces naan
- Watercress, for serving
Directions Yield: 4 Burgers
- To pickle carrots, cut carrots crosswise in half. Slice lengthwise 1∕16″ thick on a
mandoline. Place carrot slices in 500-mL mason jar with ginger. In small saucepan, bring water, vinegar, sugar and salt to a boil. Pour into jar. Cover with lid. Cool to room temperature. Store in fridge up to 2 months.
- To make avocado mayo, place ingredients in food processor. Purée until smooth.
Transfer to airtight container, pressing plastic wrap against surface. Chill up to 4 hours.
- To make patties, cut salmon into 1″ chunks. Place in food processor. Pulse until finely chopped and sticking together. Transfer to mixing bowl and add ginger, onion, cilantro, egg and panko. Season. Mix well. Divide into 4 even balls; form into oval patties. Push dimple in center of each patty with thumb.
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Oil grate well. Grill patties until just cooked
through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Grill naan until warm and pliable. Serve patties in naan with avocado mayo, drained carrots and watercress.