Ask A Chef: Chocolate Torta With Salty HazelnutsRecipe By: Daniel Costa
Chef Daniel Costa of Corso 32 shares his recipe for Chocolate Torta With Salty Hazelnuts.
Q: I was recently in Edmonton and had a fabulous dinner at Corso 32. The highlight was a dense, dark chocolate cake covered with salty-sweet hazelnuts. Could you get the recipe? I’d love to make it over the holidays. — Sally, Red Deer, Alta.
A: Chef Daniel Costa was more than happy to share the recipe for his signature dessert. There are only three ingredients in the torta, so he stresses using high-quality chocolate. And since there’s no added sugar, don’t be tempted to use bittersweet chocolate.
- Vegetable oil, for preparing pan
- 1 1⁄4 lb. Callebaut semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups whipping cream (35%), divided
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 tsp corn syrup
- 1 tbsp Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups hazelnuts, roasted, peeled
- To make torta, brush 9″ x 13″ baking pan with oil. Line with parchment paper. In heatproof bowl fitted over pan of gently simmering water, melt chocolate with half of cream, stirring, until smooth. Remove from heat. Cool until lukewarm.
- Whip remaining cream until stiff peaks form. Stir yolk into chocolate mixture. Fold in whipped cream until combined. Pour into prepared pan. Wrap pan in plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- In medium frying pan, heat sugar, water and corn syrup over medium heat. Cook, watching pan closely, until dark amber. Remove from heat. With wooden spoon, stir in salt followed by nuts. Stir until nuts are completely coated. Spread out on a parchment-lined baking tray to cool.
- To serve, cut torta with wet knife into desired pieces. Lightly crush nuts and sprinkle over top.