Ask A Chef: Chopped Kale & Grains SaladRecipe By: Nicholas Nutting
Chef Nicholas Nutting of Wolf In The Fog shares his Chopped Kale & Grains Salad.
Q: I travelled to the West Coast for the Feast Tofino food festival and had the most amazing kale salad at Wolf in the Fog. Is there any way you can track down this recipe? — RYAN, Vancouver
A: Chef Nicholas Nutting’s chopped kale salad is one of the most popular items on the menu at Wolf in the Fog. Kale is tossed with nuts, sprouted grains, tangy camelina oil dressing and fresh cheese made in-house. Good-quality, store-bought ricotta can be used in a pinch.
Look for sprouted grains at health food markets that carry produce. Store-bought ricotta can be used if you don’t have time to make fresh cheese.
- 2 bunches of kale, washed and chopped
- 1 cup of Fresh Cheese, crumbled (recipe below)
- 2 tbsp toasted sunflower or pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp toasted chopped hazelnuts
- 1⁄4 red onion, sliced
- 1⁄4 cucumber, sliced
- Camelina Dressing, to taste (recipe below)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup sprouted grains, blanched Alfalfa sprouts, for garnish
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 5 tsp white vinegar
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 4 tsp smooth Dijon mustard
- 3 1⁄2 tbsp champagne vinegar
- 5 tbsp canola oil
- 5 tbsp camelina oil
- Drop of honey
Prepare Fresh Cheese
- Heat milk and cream in saucepan until almost simmering.
- Add lemon juice and vinegar, and continue to heat until curds and whey separate.
- Layer cheesecloth in a sieve and place over a large bowl with extra cheesecloth hanging over edges. Drain cheese mixture in cheesecloth. Transfer to fridge and allow to drain overnight. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine shallot with lemon zest, juice, Dijon mustard and vinegar in a medium bowl. Gradually whisk in canola oil and camelina oil. Transfer to blender and blend mixture. Season with salt and honey to taste.
Blanch Sprouted Grains
- Bring pot of water to boil. Add sprouted grains and cook 1 minute or until crisp-tender. Drain and rinse under cold
- Combine kale, cheese, nuts and seeds, onion and cucumber. Add dressing to taste and toss thoroughly. Add salt and pepper to taste. Toss in sprouted grains and top with alfalfa sprouts.