November 14, 2023
Ask A Chef: Fairmont Executive Chef Harris Sakalis Shares His Secret For Making The Best Bread
Fairmont Vancouver Airport executive chef Harris Sakalis shares his secret for making the best bread.
Q: I recently ate at the Fairmont Vancouver Airport and the House Local Lager Bread was incredible! I would love the recipe. — DEBBIE, Gardnerville, Nev.
A: You may not expect to find such great bread at an airport hotel, but this tender and delicious loaf has the winning combination of local ingredients and a former chef’s family recipe. “Try experimenting with different craft beers and local honey to add delicious contrast to this savoury bread,” says chef Harris. It makes a great sandwich, or serve it toasted for breakfast.
Yield: Serves 4 to 6
Make Batter and Bake
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, oregano and thyme. Mix in dill. Then add beer, followed by melted butter.
- Pour batter into lightly greased loaf pan.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until toothpick inserted in centre of loaf comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on wire rack.
Toast and Serve
- To prepare toasted, allow loaf to cool completely, then pull it apart into pieces (approx. three inches wide each). Place onto baking sheet and drop a few dollops of butter between pieces.
- Place under broiler for 3 to 5 minutes until edges are golden and crisp, being careful not to burn.
- Arrange pieces on serving dish and drizzle with your favourite local honey.
- Sprinkle charcoal powder and bee pollen over top, if using.