Ask a Chef: Kohlrabi Salad
Chef Stephanie Izard shares her recipe for Kohlrabi Salad.
Q: I recently visited Girl & the Goat in Chicago where I tasted their yummy Kohlrabi salad. I’ve tried recreating it at home but can’t seem to get the right ginger flavour. Can you get the recipe? – Robin, Calgary
A: A revved-up version of the classic side salad served at sushi restaurants, this dish is loaded with meaty roasted mushrooms and shaved butternut squash, then topped with toasted nuts, creamy cheese and a zingy ginger vinaigrette.
- 12 shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, tops halved
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 heads red oak-leaf lettuce, cut into 2″ strips, washed (approx. 6 cups)
- 1 head kohlrabi, peeled, quartered, shaved very thin on mandolin (approx. 11⁄2 cups)
- 1 small head fennel, halved, cored, shaved thin on mandolin (approx. 1 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup Evalon cheese or goat’s milk Gouda, shaved
- 2 tbsp mint, torn into small pieces
- 1⁄4 cup niçoise olives, finely chopped
- 1 small butternut squash, skinned, seeded, flesh peeled into shavings (approx. 1 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 pear, shaved on mandoline (approx. 3⁄4 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup minced, peeled fresh ginger (about 3 oz.)
- 1⁄2 cup minced shallot
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 cup grape seed or blended oil (1⁄2 vegetable, 1⁄2 extra-virgin olive oil)
- Salt and fresh-ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Toss mushrooms in oil, salt and pepper. Roast until wilted and slightly browned, about 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- To make dressing, in blender, combine ginger, shallot, mustard, vinegar, yolk, soy sauce and syrup. While running on low speed, slowly drizzle in grapeseed or blended oil until dressing is smooth and thickened; season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until using.
- To serve, mix remaining salad ingredients with roasted mushrooms in large bowl. Drizzle with ginger dressing to taste and transfer to 4 plates.