December 13, 2018
Ask A Chef: Mushroom Salad With Ume Amazu Dressing
Chef Ryusuke Yamanaka of Godspeed Brewery shares his recipe for Mushroom Salad with Ume Amazu Dressing.
Q: We stopped by Godspeed Brewery in Toronto and were blown away by the mushroom salad! What’s in the amazing dressing? Can you get me the recipe? — James, Toronto
A: Ume amazu means pickled plum in sweet vinegar. The dressing for this salad is sweet and tangy, and goes well with any salad green, especially arugula, which has a nice bite. Ryusuke fries three kinds of mushrooms in butter and soy, then piles the plate high with dressed greens. Try this dish with the brewery’s Yuzu beer, a citrus-infused saison.
Yield: Serves 2 as a side dish
- In small pot over low heat, combine vinegar, sugar and salt, and stir until dissolved. Add ume paste and vegetable oil and whisk until combined. Set aside.
Fry Wonton Garnish
- Heat oil in small pot over medium-high heat. Working in batches, fry wonton strips for 20 to 30 seconds, or until golden and crisp. Drain on paper towels and season with salt. Reserve.
- Heat large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add butter and swirl to melt.
- Add mushrooms and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, or until mushrooms are lightly golden and butter has been absorbed.
- Add soy sauce, season with black pepper and scrape onto serving platter.
- Toss arugula with dressing (about 2 tablespoons) and pile on top of mushrooms. Garnish with crispy wonton strips.