Ask A Chef: Stuffed Figs With Serrano Ham & MahónRecipe By: Alonzo Ortiz
Chef Alonzo Ortiz of Pintxo shares a recipe for Stuffed Figs with Serrano Ham & Mahón.
Q: I recently dined at Pintxo in Montreal, and the stuffed figs were out-of-this-world delicious! Could I get the recipe? I’d love to serve it to friends when entertaining. — Genevieve, Montreal
A: The recipe is dead simple, and chef Alonzo Ortiz was more than happy to share it. Since not everyone has access to Spanish ingredients, he says prosciutto can stand in for Serrano, and mild Gouda is a good substitute for Mahón.
- 12 large fresh figs, preferably Black Mission
- 3 oz. Serrano ham, finely chopped
- 3 oz. Mahón cheese, grated
- Sliced almonds, toasted, and honey, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Remove fig stems. Quarter figs from top going 2⁄3 way down. Place on a parchment-lined roasting pan. Form cavity in figs with fingertip.
- In medium bowl, mix ham and cheese. Stuff fig cavities with mixture. Bake until hot, 12 minutes.
- Serve topped with almonds and honey.