January 22, 2018
Ask A Chef: Beet And Pomegranate Salad With Oranges, Feta And Mint
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Chef Matt DeMille of Eat shares his recipe for Beet And Pomegranate Salad With Oranges, Feta And Mint.
Q: My girlfriend recently hosted a kitchen party with Chef Matt DeMille. He taught us how to make amazing dishes, one of which was an incredible pomegranate salad. I’ve since lost the recipe, but I’d love to make this salad for my holiday dinner. Can you track it down? — Dan, Toronto
A: Through EAT, Chef Matt DeMille cooks a three-course meal for you and your group, sharing his best tips, techniques and recipes along the way. The key to making this salad is marinating the yellow and red beets separately to prevent the colors from bleeding. It makes for a stunning (and delicious) presentation.
Yield: Serves 4
- Peel beets and slice on a mandolin, or cut very thinly with a sharp knife. Peel orange and cut into segments, reserving juices from pith in a bowl. Set aside.
- Place yellow and red beets in separate mixing bowls. Equally divide orange juice, shallots and oil between each bowl. Season with salt and allow to marinate for 5 minutes.
- Arrange beets and shallots on platter, overlapping beets in alternating colors.
- Using spoon, drizzle liquid left in the mixing bowls over beets.
- Garnish salad with feta, mint, orange segments, pomegranate seeds and pepper. Season again with salt and another drizzle of oil.