October 18, 2018
Ask A Chef: Curried Cauliflower
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Chef Taylor Adam Smith of The Courage shares his recipe for Curried Cauliflower.
Q: I recently went wine tasting with my daughter in Prince Edward County, Ontario, and discovered the most charming café called The Courage. We had amazing cod and trout dishes, but the cauliflower dish we shared was divine! Can you track down the recipe for me? — Anna, Richmond Hill, Ontario
A: This roasted cauliflower is one of the most popular dishes at The Courage. Chef Tyler Adam Smith rubs the cauliflower with spices like curry and turmeric, roasts it, and then it’s tossed with raisins and tahini before being roasted again. The second roast locks in the flavor and caramelizes the cauliflower.
Yield: Serves 2 as main, 4 as a side
Make Tahini Dressing
- In medium bowl, whisk together tahini, honey, lemon juice and oil.
- Gradually whisk in water 1 tablespoon at a time until mixture loosens enough to pour but will still coat back of spoon. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Trim cauliflower into florets. Wash and dry well.
- In large bowl, combine curry powder, turmeric, fenugreek and onion. Add splash of water to moisten spices so they adhere to cauliflower. Rub mixture on florets to fully coat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place cauliflower on parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until cauliflower is tender and slightly browned. Remove tray from oven.
- Return cauliflower to mixing bowl. Add raisins and Tahini Dressing and mix well before returning to baking sheet. Bake for another 5 minutes.
- Divide cauliflower between plates. Garnish with fresh microherbs.