Ask A Chef: Jamaican Peppa Shrimp And Pineapple SkewersRecipe By: Craig Wong
Chef Craig Wong of Patois shares his recipe for Jamaican Peppa Shrimp And Pineapple Skewers.
Q: “I love visiting Patois when I’m in Toronto because of their bold, unexpected flavors. Their Jamaican Peppa Shrimp and Pineapple Skewers are fiery and tender with a hint of sweetness from the pineapple. I’d love to try this at home!” — Vince, Cobourg, Ont.
A: Chef Craig Wong specializes in intense flavors, and his menu is often referred to as “Asian-meets-Caribbean soul food.” The spicy kick in these shrimp skewers comes from the Scotch bonnet peppers (he suggests removing the seeds to control the heat). Some pineapple juice and a touch of rum in the marinade balance out the heat perfectly.
- 6 bamboo skewers
- 12 large tiger shrimp, U10 (about 50 g each)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil, plus more for grilling
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp chopped ginger
- 1 whole Scotch bonnet pepper, seeds removed, minced
- 2 sprigs thyme, picked and chopped
- 2 tbsp spicy paprika
- 1⁄3 tsp ground allspice
- 1⁄3 tsp cayenne
- 2 tbsp rum, preferably amber (but if you’re feeling boozy, try Wray & Nephew Overproof Rum)
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp pineapple juice
- 1 quarter pineapple, peeled
- 1 zucchini
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- Salt, to taste
- Soak skewers for 30 minutes in cold water. Peel and devein shrimp.
- To make marinade, add 1 tbsp of oil to pan and sweat garlic and ginger for 2 minutes over low heat. Add Scotch bonnet pepper, thyme, paprika, allspice and cayenne, and toast until aromatic. Add rum to deglaze pan, then add ketchup and cook for about 5 minutes, until marinade thickens slightly. Add pineapple juice. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. Add shrimp to marinade and let soak for 2–3 hours.
- To prepare skewers, preheat barbecue to medium-high. Cut pineapple into 1⁄2″-thick pieces. Cut zucchini into 1⁄2″-thick rounds. Skewer 2 shrimp, 1 piece of pineapple, 1 cherry tomato and 1 piece of zucchini onto each skewer.
- To grill, brush skewers with oil and season with salt. Grill for 3 minutes on each side.