November 25, 2021
Banh Mi Beef Dip
Try this Banh Mi Beef Dip from the new cookbook, Well Seasoned: A Year’s Worth Of Delicious Recipes.
“After a quick sear, the beef hangs out in the oven unattended while you make some simple quick pickles. Then all that’s left to do is wait for that beef to be ultra-fork-tender before you assemble one of the prettiest beef dips I’ve ever seen.”
Yield: Serves 4
- Set beef on baking sheet and, using paper towel, pat dry roast. In small bowl, mix together salt, pepper, allspice and ginger.
- Rub mixture all over roast and allow it to come up to room temperature, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°F and set large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add both oils to pot, followed by roast. Sear roast until very well browned all over, about 5 minutes per side. Return roast to baking sheet.
- Carefully add broth, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, star anise and cinnamon in Dutch oven and bring to a boil. Meanwhile, cut lemongrass into 3 or 4 pieces, slice ginger into 1⁄4″ disks and smash garlic cloves.
- Add these aromatics, along with seared roast and any collected juices to Dutch oven. Cover, and cook in oven until fork-tender, 4 1⁄2 to 5 hours.
Make Quick Pickles
- Meanwhile, make Beet and Carrot Quick Pickles by bringing vinegar, sugar, salt and 1⁄2 cup of water to simmer in medium saucepan over medium heat to dissolve sugar and salt. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Cut carrot and beet into 2- to 3″-long matchsticks and place them in separate bowls or small jars. Cover each with warm pickling liquid and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, or up to 1 month.
Assemble Sandwiches and Serve
- Remove beef from cooking liquid, place in large bowl, and use two forks to shred it. Strain cooking liquid through fine-mesh sieve and keep warm in small pot set over low heat for serving.
- To assemble sandwiches, cut baguette into 4 equal pieces. Slice almost all the way through side of baguette, spread mayonnaise and hoisin sauce on bottom of each sandwich and layer on cucumber and pulled beef.
- Top each sandwich with Beet and Carrot Quick Pickles, scattering of sliced chilis and green onions, some cilantro and squeeze of sriracha. Serve each sandwich with small dish of warm cooking liquid for one heck of a fun beef dip.
Photography ©2021 Lauren Vandenbrook
Well Seasoned, by Mary Berg. ©2021 Mary Berg. Published by Appetite by Random House, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.