February 26, 2021
“This is a Canadian classic that makes me feel warm inside,” says chef Matty Matheson. “It’s easy, and if you don’t have time to make a dough, just buy it! I love making big batches with the family because the kids can play with the dough, make their own little versions, and the pies freeze really well. It gives me the most nostalgic feeling when I eat it — meat pie with ketchup!”
Yield: Serves 6 to 8
Make Pâte Brisée
- In food processor, combine flour and salt. Add butter and pulse for a few seconds at a time, until butter is size of peas. Add cold water and pulse again until dough just begins to form, adding more water as needed.
- Remove dough from food processor and form 2 discs; wrap in plastic and let rest for 30 minutes. You can make dough a day ahead and store in refrigerator; just pull out 1 hour before making pie crust.
Make Beef Mixture
- Set oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 375°F.
- While dough is resting and oven is preheating, in large Dutch oven, melt butter and oil over medium heat. Add onions, celery and leeks, and cook until onions are translucent with no color, about 10 minutes.
- Add ground beef and cook for 8 minutes. Add cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, mace and star anise. Once spices are toasted, sprinkle in flour to thicken fat in pan and bring meat mixture together, cooking for 3 to 5 minutes. Cool completely. It’s really important that meat is cool, or your tourtière will leak when it’s being baked.
Make Pie Crust and Assemble
- Roll out half of dough on floured work surface to a 1⁄2″ (3 mm)-thick sheet, about 13″ (33 cm) long, and set it into a 9″ (23 cm) pie pan.
- Roll out second half of dough. Fill crust with meat mixture, place second crust on top, and seal edges by pinching lid and base together with your thumb and index finger, creating pleated look.3. Cut an “x” to make steam hole in top centre of tourtière.
Bake Tourtière and Serve
- Brush top of tourtière with egg wash and bake for 45 minutes, or until crust is golden and beautiful. Cool for 5 to 10 minutes, cut a big old slice, and serve with large dollop of Heinz ketchup.