March 5, 2014
Ask a Chef: Spicy Coconut Soup With Chicken And Mushrooms Recipe
Vancouver Chef David Hawksworth’s Asian-inspired starter from his restaurant, Bel Café.
Q: While staying at the Rosewood Hotel George in Vancouver, I had a sublime Asian chicken soup at Bel Café. I was a little under the weather, and it really hit the spot. I’d love to know the recipe. – Elaine, Victoria
A: Chef David Hawksworth says what makes this soup sparkle is combining the deep umami of mushrooms and fish sauce with the acidity of lime. Steeping the broth with cilantro is a neat trick tat preserves its fresh perfume.
Yield: Serves 8
- In large pot, heat oil over high heat. Add mushrooms. Cook, stirring, until browned, ?5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onion, garlic, lemongrass, ginger and galangal. Cook, stirring, until softened, 10 minutes.
- Add stock, coconut milk, jalapeño and Kaffir lime. Bring to boil over high heat. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer gently for 1 hour. Remove from heat.
- Add sugar, cilantro, lime juice, fish sauce and sriracha. Steep, covered, for 1 1/2 hours.
- Pass soup through fine mesh strainer into clean pot, pushing down with ladle.
- Bring soup to simmer. Taste for salt and lime juice.
- To garnish, divide chicken and mushrooms among 6 to 8 warm bowls. Ladle soup over top. Sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.