Berry Custard SquaresRecipe By: Michelle Edgar
Looking for a way to satisfy your sweet tooth this summer? Try following this Berry Custard Square recipe with the help of chef Michelle Edgar.To enjoy these squares at their best, make them with seasonal ripe, local berries.
- 21⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup ground almonds
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup unsalted organic butter, cold, diced
- 11⁄2 cups diced strawberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp ground almonds
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream (35%)
- 3⁄4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. To make crust, stir together all ingredients except butter in mixing bowl. Add butter and work with fingertips until crumbly. Press 2⁄3 of mixture into ungreased 9″-sq. baking pan. Bake 15 minutes.
- Top crust with berries in an even layer. Whisk together remaining filling ingredients. Pour over berries. Sprinkle with remaining 1⁄3 of the crust mixture. Bake until golden brown and set, 30 minutes. Cool completely.
- Cut into 16 squares. Transfer to airtight container. Refrigerate up to 5 days.