August 8, 2023
Blueberry Cornmeal Shortbread Tart
“All you need is fruit and your hands, and this comes together easily. It travels well and keeps at room temperature — it’s the answer to everything in the summertime.” – Alison Roman
Yield: Makes 9-inch Tart
Make Crust and Topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, powdered sugar, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Add melted butter, then use hands or wooden spoon to combine ingredients, until a coarse dough comes together with no obvious dry spots.
- Press three-quarters of cornmeal mixture into 9″ tart pan with removable bottom. (Alternatively, use 9″ round cake pan, 9″ springform pan, or 8″ x 8″ pan lined with parchment.)
- Make sure mixture is evenly pressed on bottom and about 1/2″ up sides. Place tart shell on sheet pan and pop it (and remaining cornmeal mixture) into fridge while you prepare filling.
Make Filling and Bake
- In medium bowl, toss blueberries, brown sugar, vinegar, flour and salt together. Pour fruit into crust. Crumble remaining cornmeal mixture over blueberries, pressing mixture together into large clumps as you go, as you would with a crisp or coffee cake topping (it won’t cover top entirely to allow blueberries and juices to poke through).
- Bake until filling is bubbling, and crust and top are nicely browned, 50 to 55 minutes. Let tart cool completely before serving.