February 5, 2018
Braised Fennel, Orange And Black Olive Tart Recipe
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Vegetables like fennel are quick-braised, meaning still-cooked in liquid but for a shorter amount of time than meat and usually on the stovetop. This tart combines the brightness of oranges with the brininess of olives, plus a licorice hit from the fennel.
Yield: Serves 6
Cut And Braise Fennel
- Pluck fronds from fennel stems and reserve. Cut off stalks and discard. Slice bulbs vertically into 1⁄4″ slices. Trim some of core, but leave enough to keep slices intact.
- Melt butter and oil in wide, low-sided, heavy-gauge pot over medium heat. Add fennel slices. Season with salt and pepper. Cook 2 minutes, turning to coat in oil.
- Add orange juice and white wine. Return bring to boil. Cover and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer 20 minutes or until fennel is tender. Remove lid and transfer fennel to a platter, leaving sauce in the pan.
- Add cream to sauce and bring to boil. Boil 5 minutes or until sauce is very thick. Remove from heat and let cool.
Make And Bake Tart
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Roll out puff pastry on lightly floured surface into 10″ x 13″ rectangle. Transfer to parchment paper-lined baking sheet and brush sides of pastry with egg wash.
- Stir ricotta with chives. Season with salt and pepper. Spread on puff to 1″ from side.
- Layer cooked fennel slices over ricotta. Drizzle cream sauce from braising pan over fennel. Sprinkle with olives. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until pastry is golden.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with reserved fennel fronds. Slice and serve.