Cherry SquaresRecipe By: Amy Rosen
The squares, which hail from Newfoundland, have an old-school East Coast charm with their mix of cherries and nuts.
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ¼ cups packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup candied cherries, chopped
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp water
Directions Yield: Makes 16
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9″ x 9″ pan with parchment paper. For crust, blend flour, brown sugar and butter together, then press into pan and bake for 15 minutes. Set aside.
- For middle layer, beat eggs lightly, then mix in remaining ingredients in order listed. Spread over bottom layer and return to oven and bake for 25 minutes more. Let cool completely.
- For top layer, beat all ingredients together in a small bowl, adding more water if mixture is not spreadable. Spread over middle layer, let set, then cut into squares.