November 17, 2016
Chocolate-Caramel Ginger Cookies
These cookies have a chewy center and crisp exterior. To get the texture just right, take them out of the oven as soon as they puff up and a few cracks appear on top. Once cooled, store them in an airtight container.
Yield: Makes 20
Make And Chill Dough
- Stir flour with ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cocoa powder and baking soda in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Beat butter with brown sugar and fresh ginger in large bowl using electric mixer until fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Beat in molasses.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture and stir until combined. Stir in chopped dark chocolate.
- Form dough into a ball and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until very firm, 2 hours or overnight.
- Roll chilled dough into 11⁄2″-diam. balls. Push one caramel into center of each ball, seal and reshape. Roll in granulated sugar. Repeat with remaining dough. Refrigerate 20 more minutes or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line large baking sheets with parchment paper. Arrange dough balls on parchment about 1″ apart. Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until tops are slightly cracked. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.