Chrissy Teigen’s Skillet-Charred Fish Tacos
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup Sriracha
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 pounds tilapia fillets (or your favorite white fish)
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 cup finely shredded red cabbage
- 2 small tomatoes, diced
- 6 radishes, thinly sliced or julienned
- 1⁄2 cup sliced scallions
- 1 large avocado, sliced Pepper’s Hot Green Pepper Sauce (page 113), for serving
- Cilantro sprigs and lime wedges, for serving
Directions Yield: Serves 4 to 6
- In a bowl, stir together the mayo and Sriracha until smooth.
- In a bowl, combine the chili powder, garlic, salt, pepper, and 1 1/2 tablespoons of the oil. Rub the spice mixture all over the fish. heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil and when the oil just starts to smoke, add the fish in one layer and cook until slightly charred, 3 minutes per side. Remove from the heat, cool, and flake the fish.
- Warm the tortillas, 2 by 2, in a dry skillet set over medium heat, flipping after a few seconds. Stack the hot tortillas to keep them warm.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of the spicy mayo on each tortilla, then top with some fish. Top each taco with some cabbage, tomato, radish, and scallion. Then top each taco with avocado. Drizzle with some of Pepper’s hot green pepper sauce. Garnish with cilantro and serve with lime wedges.