December 5, 2018
Carol’s Cocoa Caramel Brownies
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 1/4 hours
These old-fashioned cocoa brownies are fudgy and decadent. The batter comes together easily in one pot — much appreciated when home cooks are at the height of holiday baking.
Yield: Makes 21 brownies
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan, lining the bottom with parchment.
- In a pot over medium-low heat, combine butter, sugar, cocoa powder and salt, stirring often until butter is melted, sugar is dissolved and the mixture is smooth.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool until lukewarm, about 10 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time and stir with a wooden spoon until smooth and glossy. Add vanilla. Add flour and stir until combined.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the brownies comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan.
Make Caramel Topping
- In a pot, combine sugar and water. Stir, just to moisten sugar.
- Turning burner to medium-high, allow mixture to come to a simmer without stirring until it reaches a honey color, about 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in cream, vanilla and salt. Allow to sit for 5 minutes, then stir in pecans. When mixture has thickened but is still pourable, spread over brownies in an even layer. Let cool fully.
- Slice into 3 columns and 7 rows and remove from pan.