PB Thumbprints With Mocha GanacheRecipe By: Kristen Eppich
Peanut butter and chocolate — need I say more? Think of these thumbprints as peanut butter cookies for adults (like we need an excuse). A rich, sophisticated ganache complements the peanut butter flavor in these melt-in-your-mouth bites.
You’ll want to put this ganache on just about everything. If it hardens too much in the refrigerator, melt in the microwave on low power for 30-second intervals until you reach a spreadable consistency.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup finely chopped best quality chocolate
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped dry-roasted salted peanuts
- 1 tsp flaked salt
Mix Cookie Dough
- In large bowl, stir flour with baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric or stand mixer, cream butter with peanut butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in honey, egg and vanilla extract until fully incorporated.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- On sheet of plastic wrap, press dough into disc and wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove dough from refrigerator. With palms of hands, roll into 1 1⁄2 inch balls. Arrange 2 inches apart on baking sheet. Using fork, press each ball halfway down.
- Bake until light brown and cookies have risen, about 8 minutes. Remove from oven. Using back of melon baller or spoon, make divot in center of each cookie. Return to oven and cook 5 more minutes, or until lightly golden at edges.
- Remove cookies from oven. If divots have risen, press gently again with melon baller or spoon. Cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place chocolate in medium bowl. In heavy-bottomed saucepan, bring cream to a simmer, then remove from heat.
- Pour cream over chocolate and whisk until chocolate is melted and mixture is thick and glossy. Whisk in espresso powder.
- Refrigerate ganache, stirring occasionally, until it has the thickness of mayonnaise.
- Dollop scant tablespoon of chocolate ganache into divot of each cookie. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts and a few flakes of salt.