Cod With Coriander SeedRecipe By: Philip Haddad
Total Time: 25 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Briefly searing the cod gives it a nice golden crust and helps the fish keep its shape while cooking.
- 1 tsp whole coriander seeds
- 1 big pinch salt
- 1 small garlic clove
- Zest of half a lemon
- Big pinch dried chili flakes
- 4 sprigs fresh oregano, leaves picked
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 6oz. pieces cod loin
Directions Yield: Serves 4
- Using mortar and pestle, grind coriander seeds, salt and garlic into a coarse paste. Add lemon zest and chili flakes and grind to release oils. Add oregano leaves, lemon juice oil, and grind gently to bruise oregano leaves.
- Preheat oven to 450ºF
- On stovetop, preheat cast-iron pan over high heat. Add 1 tbsp oil to pan and heat until smoking. Season cod loins with salt and pepper, then sear on one side for 2 minutes to form crust.
- Transfer cod to parchment-lined baking sheet, crust-side-up. Bake for 7 to 8 minutes until fish flakes easily and is opaque. For last minute of baking, spoon coriander vinaigrette evenly over fish.